California Shine Dental is a mercury-free practice; however, we understand that some of our patients may have silver or mercury fillings from previous treatments. Not only are these fillings unsightly
Drawbacks of Silver Fillings
Silver fillings can have numerous disadvantages. Over time, the fillings become weak and wear down or break. This leaves the tooth exposed to cavities and a build-up of bacteria. Silver fillings consist of 50 percent mercury which can leak, corrode and cause teeth and gum staining. Today, silver fillings can be safely and effectively substituted with tooth-colored restorations.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Restorations
Patients can reap the many advantages of tooth-colored restorations, even in instances where some tooth structure has suffered. Onlays are bonded directly to the teeth with a precision fit for a natural-looking smile. Resin found in tooth-colored restorations also contains fluoride which can combat decay. The resin is not placed along the gum line, which is better for gums.
Replacing Your Silver Fillings
Replacing silver fillings with tooth-colored restorations (
- Excess decay and the old filling are removed
- An impression (model) is made of your teeth and sent to the lab
- A temporary
onlayis fixed on the tooth
- The lab creates a resin to place in the impression
- The temporary
onlayis taken off
- The conditioning gel is applied to the tooth
- High-intensity lighting bonds resin to the tooth with bonding cement
- The tooth is polished
- Your teeth are stronger, well-protected and look natural!